Wednesday, March 15, 2006

"You Won't Want to be Standing Here if She Blows"

That's not really the best thing to say to a crowd of people that you need to evacuate. But that's how Athens or OU PD (Not sure who was there at that point) told me and the rest of the class that someone had called in a bomb threat to the building we were supposed to be taking an exam in.

Prior to this we had all been sitting inside awaiting the arrival of the professors and the exams. I seriously considered not going outside when the fire alarm went off, since I figured some asshat had just pulled the alarm and we'd be back inside shortly. But, since the rest of the class was leaving, I decided I would, too. So, we were all milling about by the doors behind Bentley when Mr. Police Man comes up with his yellow police tape and says, "I'm gonna need you folks to leave the area. You won't want to be standing here if she blows." I thought he was joking and I don't think most people actually heard the end of that, but he could have phrased it a little better. A little later someone found out that it was in fact a bomb threat. As usual, there was no bomb. I didn't think it'd take an hour and a half to discover that there was no bomb in Bentley, but that's how long it took.

Sitting out on Court Street for an hour and a half was actually kind of interesting, though. I got to listen to everyone trying to figure out what was going on and freaking out about what the hell they were supposed to do about their exams. I also got to talk to a guy who is graduating this quarter and then moving to Moscow. All he had to do was turn in his thesis at Bentley and he was free. But he, like the rest of us, was thwarted by the non-bomb.

At least all the to-do wasn't over a sticker this time.

No comments: