Monday, August 07, 2006

12:30 in the Morning

I don't know why I am still awake. I think I've just spent too much time staying up late during the last week and I can't convince myself that it's bedtime. It's been bedtime for about an hour and a half, and yet here I sit, tired as can be, but not motivated enough to get up and walk the 7 or so feet from this chair to my room. My room that my aunt and uncle are being kind enough to let me occupy for free this summer. It's so nice to not have to pay rent. You can't even imagine. Unless you are not paying rent. Then you understand.

The fake campaign has turned out to be all kinds of fun. All kinds of fun if you don't count Dustin, Captain Obvious and Mr. Dependability. He's supposed to be the press aide, but I haven't gotten crap for help from him on this whole thing. He mostly drifts around the room, bringing up points that we talked about twenty minutes ago. Sometimes he doesn't even bother to show up for meetings. It's not like we really need 7 people for this, but he's part of the group. It'd be nice if he participated as much as the rest of us, on the same timeline as the rest of us. I feel a little bad for the kid when everyone starts laughing at him when he's not around (mostly because some not-so-small part of me wonders if they do the same to me when I'm not around), but then I remember that he hasn't contributed a thing to this project (and I know I have, so at least I've got that going for me). Something about him reminds me of Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade balloons. Big, lumbering, essentially useless and really just frustrating to the people trying to work with them.

I had to be one of those balloon wranglers for the Dayton Children's Christmas Parade in high school. I got to hold a walrus flipper, or at least the rope attached to the flipper. Downtown Dayton is a dumb place to parade those balloons. Lots of wires, and they're all pretty low. The walrus spent most of the parade dragging on the ground. I stepped on her flipper and tore it, but someone in front of me was kind enough to cover for me and told the balloon's owner that it'd been like that the whole time. Pretty cool, that girl was. I don't even remember who did that. It would help if I could remember what year we had to work the parade. I have an idea of who it might have been, but she graduated my freshman year, and I don't think we did it that year. Oh well. It's only an issue right now because it's 12:30 and I ought to be asleep. I think I'll go do that now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wonderful analogy. i am very impressed.

in regard to your comment on my page, i called you today to apologize. so shut your face. i have issues with checking voicemails so i didn't realize you called until today. i'm sorry, i suck, don't hate me.